Fatalities up on last year
Posted on: 06/11/2018 By: Lee Rance
Despite Britain continuing to be one of the safest places to work, key figures for Great Britain show that in 2017/18 there were;
- 144 fatal injuries at work.
- 4 million working people suffering from a work-related illness.
- 7 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury.
- 493 cases were prosecuted and resulted in a conviction. Fines from convictions totalled £72.6 million.
- Workplace injury and new cases of ill health cost Britain £15.0 billion a year.
Martin Temple, HSE Chair, said of the findings:
These figures should serve as a reminder to us of the importance to manage risk and undertake good health and safety practice in the work place. Great Britain’s health and safety record is something we should all be proud of, but there is still much to be done to ensure that every worker goes home at the end of their working day safe and healthy.Collectively we must take responsibility to prevent these incidents that still affect too many lives every year, and continue to all play our part in Helping Great Britain Work Well.
For a more detailed breakdown of the figures from the HSE website, click here and download the Summary Statistics document.